Friday, April 4, 2008

Bermuda "Borrows" a Teacher

One afternoon in November 1965, I was teaching a Science class in the Senior School at the Ontario School for the Deaf, Belleville. I got a call on the school communication system. The secretary told me that I had to go and see the Superintendent in his office after class!

Oh, no! I wondered what was wrong. I didn't think I had done anything bad, but why would the Superintendent want to see me?

When I arrived at his office, he was not alone. The government inspector of schools was there with him. I thought I must really be in trouble! Then, the Superintendent told me that they wanted me to consider an offer.  He told me that the Ontario Minister of Education, William Davis, had recently been in Bermuda and met the Bermuda Director of Education. He found out that Bermuda was having a hard time getting teachers of the deaf for their special education school.

Mr. Davis had told the Bermuda Director, "No problem, we have lots of teachers of the deaf in Ontario. I will lend one to you."  When Mr. Davis returned to Ontario, he ordered the inspector or schools to find someone to send.  One reason why they thought of me was because I was young and single. They thought it would be easy for me to move without much warning.

The plan was for Bermuda to "borrow" me from January until July while they tried to find another teacher to come and stay in a permanent position.

So it happened that the first week of January 1966, I flew from Toronto to Bermuda and took over a class of young deaf children at the "Happy Valley School' near Hamilton, Bermuda.

Here's a picture of me with my class:

I had a wonderful six and a half months living and working in beautiful Bermuda. While I was there, some people in the Bermuda Department of Education tried to convince me to stay. I was very tempted, but I had a problem with some of the leaders in the Department of Education there who had racist attitudes and I was not comfortable working with them. Also, the kids were expected to be completely oral and I could not use any signs with them.

However, I discovered that one of the reasons they had a hard time keeping teachers was because the school system there was very British and they usually hired teachers from England. Teachers from there signed a contract to stay for three years, but after staying for that time, most of them felt isolated from their home and refused to stay longer.

I suggested to them that teachers from Canada or the U.S. would be better, because it was closer for them to fly home at vacation time and they would not feel so isolated. Also, I mentioned about the teacher training program for the deaf in Ontario. In the next couple of years, Bermuda did send some Bermudian teachers to Ontario to get the training and then return home to teach in their own country.

Teaching in Bermuda was a terrific opportunity for me and I was glad that Bermuda "borrowed" me for that time.

5 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Wow, very fascinating story! Thanks for sharing it with us :o)

Deaf Pixie said...

Aww, That's sweet.. Really so interesting to hear and something it is really good to use you as teacher for Bermuda. I never thought of that. It would be good for you to good expereince of your lifetime.
Never forgot. It is actually already passed 45 years ago.

I am sure you have a wonderful and blessing for your first expereinced to teach childrens.
That's sweet!

Deaf Pixie

Unknown said...

Norm,
Thank you for sharing your overseas stories. I am a proud SJW alumna, went to kindergarten in 1984 and graduating there in 1999. I am now a VSO volunteer overseas working with Deaf Blind children in Nigeria, Africa for two years. It's enlightening to read your experiences and how you empowered the Deaf Bermudans. I, too, want sustainability in my school. My website - tactiletheworld.wordpress.com, and www.youtube.com/tactiletheworld
Rock on!
Christine "Coco" Roschaert

Kathryn said...

It's interesting to see when you 'happened' to be in that journey. I always believe that every one of us have a reason to be here. Your example is just perfect - you were put in there, without intention, and changed some things for good benefits in long run.

Up to date: what's current belief / method of teaching at deaf school(s) in Bermuda today?

Now, I wonder what my purpose for being here... still looking! ;-)

Keep tale the stories... \o/

Kathryn

Unknown said...

I was probly your deaf student in your class at FVS. I know some of them were on picture with you.